JBJ Soul Kitchen to Host Chili Cook-Off
The Jon Bon Jovi Soul Kitchen eight annual Chili Cook-Off is set for 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 7 at the JBJ Soul Kitchen Toms River, located on 1769 Hooper Ave.
The event, presented by Vydia, is a heartfelt tribute to the dedication and service of first responders throughout New Jersey.
“Our Chili Cookoff is my favorite event of the year! It is a wonderful opportunity to bring the community together. Attendees have the chance to support and thank our first responders for their service, along with supporting JBJ Soul Kitchen by Paying it Forward.,” said Joanne Gwin, Community Coordinator of JBJ Soul Kitchen Toms River, in a statement.
Diners pay a minimum of $20 for a three-course meal, which goes toward the cost for non-paying diners. Those who can’t are invited to learn how to volunteer. In the past, Jon Bon Jovi and his wife, Dorothea, have served as unannounced judges.
“Everyone attending the event Pays it Forward with their entrance fee, and each Pay it Forward provides a meal for someone in the community who is facing food insecurity. So come out and join us and see why HOPE is Delicious!” Gwin said.
Tickets, priced at $20 via Eventbrite, provides a meal for someone in our community facing food insecurity. Admission will be $30 at the door.
- Celebrating First Responders: Fire, EMS, police departments, and First Aid Squads will compete for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place honors in this exciting annual event.
- Chili Tasting: Guests will have the opportunity to sample all the featured chili entries and cast their votes for their favorites.
- Delicious Appetizers: Chef Rob Wood will create healthy, seasonal appetizers for all attendees to enjoy. A Meat Smoker stand will be available! Various smoked meats, JBJ Soul Seasoning, will be served.
- Limited Edition Merchandise: Exclusive Chili Cookoff T-Shirts and other JBJ Soul Kitchen merchandise will be available for purchase.
- “Every Bowl Feeds a Soul”: For a $20 Pay It Forward donation, you can purchase a beautiful ceramic bowl, crafted by students throughout New Jersey. Your donation helps feed families and individuals in need, while raising awareness about hunger in our area.
- Entertainment: Applaud Our Kids will be returning to perform at our 8th Annual Chili Cookoff! It is also with great pleasure to be introducing NJ singer/songwriter, Michael Rainone.
- Holiday Food Drive: The People’s Pantry will be collecting non-perishable food items. Please bring canned veggies, canned fruit, fruit juice, shelf-stable milk, hot + cold cereals, and soups.