Journey Hits Billboard Charts Due to “Stranger Things”
The “Stranger Things” effect is catapulting Journey back onto the Billboard charts.
Two versions of the band’s “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) are now charting on the Hot Rock and Alternative Charts thanks to the son’s inclusion on the Netfflix show.
The 1983 hit-featured in the show’s fourth-season trailer–has been remixed by Bryce Miller and Alloy Tracks.
The show has been a boon to 80’s music having a second life on the charts. First, Kate Bush’s hit Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) from 1985 climbed to the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 after it was used in Stranger Things Season 4. Metallica’s 1985 classic “Master of Puppets” that was used in the finale of the show entered the chart at No. 40 due to the metalhead character Eddie Munson (played by Joseph Quinn) soloing the song in the Upside Down realm.
“The way The Duffer Brothers have incorporated music into Stranger Things has always been next level, so we were beyond psyched for them to not only include “Master of Puppets” in the show but to have such a pivotal scene built around it,” Metallica wrote in a statement. “We were all stoked to see the final result and when we did we were totally blown away… it’s so extremely well done, so much so, that some folks were able to guess the song just by seeing a few seconds of Joseph Quinn’s hands in the trailer!! How crazy cool is that? It’s an incredible honor to be such a big part of Eddie’s journey and to once again be keeping company with all of the other amazing artists featured in the show.”
Check out the trac klisting of the Stranger Things 4 soundtrack:
- “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)” (Bryce Miller/Alloy Tracks Remix) – Journey with Steve Perry
- “California Dreamin’” – The Beach Boys
- “Psycho Killer” – Talking Heads
- “Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God)” – Kate Bush
- “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)” – Dead or Alive
- “Chica Mejicanita” – Mae Arnette
- “Play With Me” – Extreme
- “Detroit Rock City (Single Version)” – KISS
- “I Was a Teenage Werewolf” – The Cramps
- “Pass the Dutchie” – Musical Youth
- “Wipe Out” – The Surfaris
- “Object of My Desire (Single Version)” – Starpoint
- “Rock Me Amadeus (The Gold Mix)” – Falco
- “Travelin’ Man” – Ricky Nelson
- “Tarzan Boy” – Baltimora
- “Dream a Little Dream of Me” – Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
- “Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo” (Single Version) – Rick Derringer
- “Fire and Rain” – James Taylor
- “Spellbound” – Siouxsie and the Banshees
- “Master of Puppets” – Metallica
- “When It’s Cold I’d Like To Die (featuring Mimi Goese)” – Moby
- “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)” (Steve Perry & Bryce Miller Extended Remix) – Journey with Steve Perry