Ann Wilson Talks New Album, Heart Biopic; Listen to Her Queen Cover with Vince Gill Below
Heart lead singer Ann Wilson will finally release her solo album, Fierce Bliss, this Friday (April 29).
Recorded at Sound Stage in Nashville and Muscle Shoals Sound Studios in Alabama with guest appearances by Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Warren Haynes, Vince Gill and famed Nashville session guitarist] Tom Bukovac and bassist Tony Lucido.
“I had originally intended to go in, record a few songs and see what I had, but it just took on this life,” she said in a release. “At Sound Stage in Nashville, Kenny Wayne Shepherd came in and played on a couple songs. He was a whole other influence coming in. He just played his butt off, and with the gospel singers and everything else coming together, the whole project just started to grow.”
Wilson continues, “I’d known Warren Haynes from Gov’t Mule for a while. We’d written a couple songs together with Gov’t Mule playing, and those rounded out the record. So all of a sudden, where there was no record before, suddenly I had eleven cool songs that I really liked.”
In addition to new songs, “Greed” and “Black Wing,” Ann included several covers, including The Eurythmics’ “Missionary Man“, a duet Vince Gill is tapped to deliver Queen’s “Love of My Life,” Jeff Buckley‘s “Forget Her,” and Robin Trower’s classic “Bridge of Sighs.”
In Heart news, a new biopic is being scripted by Portlandia star and Sleater-Kinney member Carrie Brownstein.
“It is very strange, just the idea of somebody portraying me. But Carrie just really gets it. She’s the best – so smart and funny and talented,” Wilson tells the UK paper, The Independent.
“And she’s trying to make sure it doesn’t fall into so many of these rock movie clichés,” Wilson adds. “She’s trying to get away from that and really tell the story of what it’s like for these two people, my sister [Nancy] and I. To make it real.”
“Fierce Bliss” Track Listing:
- Black Wing
- Bridge of Sighs
- Fighten for Life
- Love of My Life (feat. Vince Gill)
- Missionary Man
- Forget Her
- A Moment in Heaven
- Angel’s Blues*
- As the World Turns
Musicians who appear on “Fierce Bliss”:
- Vocals – Vince Gill on “Love of My Life”
- Lead Guitar – Kenny Wayne Shepherd on “Bridge of Sighs” and “Missionary Man”
- Guitar – Warren Haynes on “Gladiator” and “Angel’s Blues”
- Guitar – Tyler Boley on “Black Wing”
- Keyboards – Danny Louis on “Gladiator” and “Angel’s Blues”
- Keyboards – Dan Walker on “Black Wing”
- Bass – Jorgen Carlsson on “Gladiator” and “Angel’s Blues”
- Bass – Andy Stoller on “Black Wing”
- Drums – Matt Abts on “Gladiator” and “Angel’s Blues”
- Choir – The Rev Nathan Young Singers on “Missionary Man”