Rob Acampora Salutes ‘The King’-The Elvis List
As we lost the Queen of Soul yesterday, it was the same day we lost the The King backed in 1977.
Elvis Presley would be 83 if he were alive today – more than likely would have endorsed Weight Watchers and have lost about 100 pounds, would’ve had a 10 year residency in Las Vegas to wrap up his performing career (making him the king of Vegas – move over Wayne Newton!), and more than likely would have landed the acting job of a lifetime that would have earned him an Oscar nomination.
Rob Acampora Presents: The “Heat” List–Songs For Our Summer Heat Wave!
Presley’s departure was too soon, but his influence has been filled through all genres of music.
This edition of The List pays tribute to Elvis – you’ll notice covers of Presley songs done by artists you are familiar with on 107.1 The Boss, and songs that reference The King! Yes, all these songs were hits at one point:
1) Cheap Trick — Don’t Be Cruel (Top-5 hit in ‘88 / #1 for Elvis in ‘56)
2) ZZ Top — Viva Las Vegas (1992 cover became the bands biggest hit in Ireland, Sweden and the UK, plus was a Top-20 Rock Hit in the US)
3) Depeche Mode — Personal Jesus (founding member Martin Gore has said of their 1990 hit that the inspiration behind the song was the book “Elvis And Me” by Priscilla Presley)
4) REM — Man on The Moon (“Andy are you goofing on Elvis – Hey Baby!”)
5) Tom Petty — Free Fallin’ (“She’s a good girl, crazy about Elvis”)
6) Bon Jovi — Say It Isn’t So (Top-20 hit in 7 countries / “ Elvis Presley died – they deep fried The King!”)
7) Fine Young Cannibals — Suspicious Minds (Top-20 hit in 7 countries in ‘85)
8) Paul Simon — Graceland (Elvis’ 14-acre estate in Memphis has been a National Historic Landmark since 2006)
9) Nickelback — Rockstar (“ I wanna be great like Elvis, without the tassels”)
10) Dire Straits — Calling Elvis (Top-10 hit in 15 countries, and a Top-3 Rock Hit in the US in ‘91)
In the words of Elvis “Well Thank You, Thank You very much” for reading The List (and I’ll bet that when you read that quote, you had Elvis‘s voice in your head)